Friday, October 21, 2016

Sharing My Good Luck

The countryside changes instantly when we cross the border from Tanzania into picturesque Rwanda – the Land of A Thousand Hills. Sloping farmlands are dotted with vibrant villages and acres of banana fronds flapping in the breeze.

We set up the tables right on the road next to the bus for a quick lunch. When I look up from making a cheese sandwich I am surrounded by a mob of grinning boys.

“What do you cheeky boys want?” I ask. They giggle and signal “food” by touching their fingers to their mouths.

“Okay, how many of you are there?” I ask, wondering how I’m going to pull off this impromptu catering exercise.

I count shiny heads out loud: “One, two, three…through to 10. No wait, there’s more…11, 12, 13…. Little black faces and outstretched hands are multiplying before my eyes!

I reach into my food bag, with comical echoes of Jesus feeding the multitudes, and break open several packets of biscuits and press one biscuit into each little hand. I share my cheese sandwich. I find a packet of almonds and some crisps and a few bananas. The jostling boys are giggling with delight.


I glance across the road to see a crowd of curious local women gathering and I worry that the mothers are cross with their sons for begging. When I smile and wave, they rush across the road and also line up for food! I give one woman a jar of mayonnaise, another a jar of peanut butter, a carton of milk, a block of chocolate…everything I have! Some of my friends join in and give what they have; an avocado, some bread, a bottle of juice! The women are delighted by this spontaneous encounter with a busload of white tourists!


I know hand-outs will not solve global hunger and poverty in any sustainable way. I just wanted to share my lunch. It would be rude not to!   























Hiking Boots 

I believe in sharing what I have. My new hiking boots were covered in mud after the gruelling gorilla trek in Kisoro, southern Uganda. Contemplating how I would carry them back to Nairobi, I hit on a brainwave! I would give them to the young guide who treks the mountainous region every day. He would get much more use from them than me and besides, in my consumer world back home in the UK, I can jump on Amazon and order a new pair any time I fancy.     

On a roll, I give him my snazzy Velcro sandals, a hoodie, my sleeping bag and cushion, my towel and backpack. I am relieved to lighten my load of bulky items and my young friend is rapt with his unexpected bonanza of useful gear. Somehow this act of sharing has formed a bond between us and I know I will stay in contact with Godfrey, who is devoted to supporting the needy in his community.




I am also a generous tipper. I have travelled East Africa, peeling off notes in various local currencies to tip helpful service staff, drivers and tourism workers. The extra money I press in their hands is a small amount to me but makes a huge difference to people working hard for low pay to support their children and extended families. My generosity is a way of blessing people and showing kindness.

Cynics accuse “do-gooders” like me of selfish motives; they sneer down their noses thinking I give to make myself “feel good”. Yes, I admit, I do feel good in the act of giving. I really enjoy the buzz of seeing someone’s face light up! Giving fills my heart with pure joy, love and empathy.

By a happy accident of fate, I was born in the developed world and have enjoyed opportunities to make money and have a high standard of living. I am not intrinsically better than the billions of people who live in poor countries. I do not possess superior skills or abilities. In fact the people I’ve met in East Africa are much smarter than me, having mastered several languages and cultivated the ingenuity to survive and thrive in extremely tough conditions. 

I believe resources are not mine to grasp with tight-fisted entitlement. The resources of the planet are meant to be shared. And so I share what I have and enjoy giving whenever I can. We are one world, one humanity, one big global family.




No comments:

Post a Comment